Online poker sites have grown in massive popularity over santai poker past 10 years, through the poker boom and beyond. When Chris Moneymaker won the World Series of Poker in 2003, there was an enormous influx of new players or “fishes” entering the poker world – what better place to get more hands in and stay anonymous than the world wide web. Indeed, the extra volume of hands allowed in online play allowed some of these so called fish to become the top money earners in the sport. Let’s take a look at the different types of poker games you can play at a major poker room online.
- Texas Holdem – The most popular of all kinds of poker, all the sites have Texas Holdem and of course it’s no-limit counterpart
- Omaha – A game played with 4 cards each and soaring in popularity
- 7 Card Stud – A classic game, offered by most online poker rooms to this day.
- 5 card draw – This old time cafeteria classic, 5-card draw is available at a minimum amount of poker sites.
- Ring games – These are otherwise known as cash games, and consist of you playing against other players for real cash. Dozens of different stakes are available at any given online poker site.
- MTT – These are known as multi-table tournaments and have hundreds or thousands of players in the same tournament. You have to buy in to the tournament, and everyone’s cash is all pooled into one and then prizes are distributed to the top finishers.
- SNG – Sit and go tournaments are mini tourneys which don’t last very long. Usually they will have 9 or 10 players, though there are 2 table and 3 table SNG’s available which have 18 and 27 players respectively.
- Satellites – These are parlays where you can start small and end up huge. Basically you will enter a poker tournament in hopes of not winning money, but a ticket to a larger tournament. There are also online to live satellites where you play for prize packages to live tourneys.
There are indeed many more forms of tournaments and types of poker offered at various online poker sites around the web. The ones listed above, however, are indeed an indication of the most common games and tables you will find as you venture into the amazing world of online poker.